[TYPES] [External] Why are ACM conference registrations so expensive now?

Ingle, Apoorv N apoorv-ingle at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 15 14:26:03 EST 2023

I’m glad you brought this up Stefan. I have been trying to schedule a meeting with the ACM digital library folks for the past month and I haven’t heard any reply from them. They do not let us bulk upload the videos on acm.org <http://acm.org/> DL and hence the need for YouTube (which is also, unfortunately, banned in some countries.)

Back to the main topic: we have not managed to, and nor can we, I think, answer Neels original question—why are the conferences tickets more expensive?— because we do not know which exact component(s) makes the conference expensive without looking at the numbers in the actual expense sheets in more detail. Is there a way to make them public to run some analysis on them?

Also, as a volunteer, I would rather help record and stream talk videos than to check participants badges to see if they have registered for lunch.

— Apoorv
Video Chair POPL22, ICFP22, POPL23, ICFP23, SPLASH23, POPL24