[Unison-hackers] Re: a common patch set - first attempt

Zvezdan Petkovic zpetkovic at acm.org
Wed Jun 1 18:07:34 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:43:00AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> I wasn't aware of the OpenBSD patches repository.

The complete OS source tree is in CVS.
Ditto for all couple of thousands of ports.

> Since you're already maintaining that, it might be easier just to let
> it be the definitive patch list.

It's really maintained by the OpenBSD developers.
I just send the patch to current CVS whenever there's a change.
They commit it to CVS.
Thus the freshest patches (to my knowledge at least) will always be in
the main CVS branch, and it seems to be a good and convenient thing.

> OTOH, my list also includes patches for previous releases (2.9.x),
> which some people are still using.

Correct.
I think you did a great job and your repository is very useful.

There's a 2.9.1 version of unison port in the OpenBSD CVS too.
Just look for the old branch.  However, the patches I applied there were
used only to enable compilation under OpenBSD.  They have become the
part of unison makefiles since then.  You have other patches that can be
crucial to some people.

However, if you feel that maintaining your patch repository is a burden
to you, do not fret.  We still have the benefit of having them in
OpenBSD CVS.  It is only important that we keep up-to-date with the
developer changes.

Notice that having at least Cygwin specific makefile patches on your
site is probably a good idea.

I do not include the glib makefile patch for Cygwin.
Any change to a makefile is necessarily port/packaging system specific,
and should be probably kept that way.
For example, I do not deal with the tags target in unison makefile at
all.  I use do-install target of the OpenBSD port system bsd.port.mk
makefile to perform the compile/pack/install cycle in the OS specific
way.

	Zvezdan