[Unison-hackers] Quick poll: Who uses backup / backups?

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 6 10:56:52 EDT 2005

We're in the middle of some reimplementation work on the merge
functionality, and as part of this we're considering simplifying and
rationalizing the backup functionality.

At the moment, Unison provides two different preferences for controlling
backups: "backup", which keeps backup copies in the same directory as the
current version of the file, and "backups", which maintains a centralized
tree of backup files under the .unison directory.

We're considering removing the centralized mechanism and keeping just the
simpler "backup" functionality (and, at the same time, giving the user more
control over how these backup files are named).

If you would be seriously inconvenienced by this change, can you please
either drop me an email or (if you have a comment of general interest) post
a message here?

     - Benjamin