[Unison-hackers] Quick poll: Who uses backup / backups?

James O'Brien job at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 6 18:29:28 EDT 2005

Personally I like having the backup files easily visible in the same
directory.  But I can see how others would like .snapshot directories
or a central back directory.  Right now, the central -vs- in-place
options use totally separate code with different options.  It's ugly.
The backupS (w/ an S) code could be fairly easily modified to make the
location of the backup files a configurable option.  The files could be
located in a directory that can be relative to the unison ROOT, the
filesystem root, or the directory containing the file. If a central
directory is used then some care must be taken to prevent collisions.
(By the way, I don't think the current backup [with no S] option does
this collision avoidance... which in my opinion makes it inherently
broken.)

The suggestion to gzip backup files would make a great option.  In some
cases you would not want to, but quite often it would be useful.  It
would be a fairly easy to add option I think.

Also, the current version of the backupS option has a feature to
automatically delete backup files older than some age.  It checks when
it does sync'ing so if you sync regularly there is no need for a
separate cron job to delete them.  (But if you like to run cron jobs,
then you could get the gzip feature by having a cron job that looks for
backup files and zips them... I think the problem of ziping a
backupfile as it is being written is zero because backup files are just
original files that have been renamed.)

			- James