[Unison-hackers] a common patch set - first attempt [repost]

Andrew Schulman andrex at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 05:07:55 EDT 2005

Benjamin, Max, and Jérôme, I'd appreciate hearing your comments on this.
Send them to me privately if you prefer.  Thanks, Andrew.

--------------- Forwarded message (begin)

Subject: a common patch set - first attempt
From: Andrew Schulman <andrex at comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:21:11 -0400
Newsgroup: gmane.network.unison.devel

I've put together a first attempt at a standard set of patches for
Unison versions 2.9.1, 2.9.20, 2.10.2, and 2.12.0.  The draft page is
at http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/unison/patches.html.  Please have a
look at the page, and send me your comments.

The patches listed on the page reflect the recent discussions on
unison-hackers and unison-users, as well as I've been able to follow
them, up through today.  The discussion was long and there are a lot of
patches, so it's likely that I've gotten some details wrong or missed
some things.  Please check the patches and let me know if you find any
problems.

Notes on specific patches:  The OSX client patch
(http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/pipermail/unison-hackers/2005-May/000071.html)
conflicts with Jérôme's later file properties patch
(http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/pipermail/unison-hackers/2005-May/000090.html).
I'm using only the later one, on the assumption that Jérôme revised and
rereleased it.  Also I named one patch "osx-unknown" because its purpose
was never stated.

The goal of the page is to provide a standard set of patches that all of
us who are developing and packaging Unison can agree to.  The current
system of posting and pulling patches on unison-users and
unison-hackers leads to hit-or-miss patching, as the recent discussion
has shown.  I think it would make more sense to have a single place to
keep them all.  Developers can call new patches to my attention, and
I'll add them to the list.  Packagers can agree to keep their packages
up-to-date with the list, in order to improve reliability and
cross-platform consistency of their packages.  I hope that packagers
from more platforms will sign on to keep current with the list, too.

I've jumped the gun on the page by saying that "The patches listed here
represent the consensus of the Unison developers and the packagers for
Cygwin, OpenBSD, and Windows."  This isn't true yet, but I would like
for it to be.  So in particular, Benjamin, Jerome, Max, and Zvezdan,
I'd like to have each of you review the list of patches, and let me
know if you can agree to it.  If you can't, then please tell us what
your issues are and let's try to address them.

I'm sure this isn't the greatest method of keeping a patch list.
Whenever a new patch becomes available, someone will have to call it my
attention if I miss it (I follow the mailing lists, but miss things
sometimes), then I'll have to manually update the page and notify all
of the packagers.  No doubt there's a better way, and if someone can
tell or show me what that is, please do.  Also, I don't think it will
be too much work to maintain the list, but if it is I may have to back
off of it.  All in all it would be better to have some kind of
collaborative approach.  But for now, I'm willing to give it a try, and
I hope this approach will be an improvement over the current method.

If this whole approach is wrong and there's a better/smarter way (CVS
archives of patched previous releases?), then please tell me about
that, too.  I won't mind; on the contrary, I don't want to waste my
effort on an approach that isn't going to be useful to all of us.

Andrew.