[Unison-hackers] a common patch set - first attempt [repost]

Trevor Jim trevor at research.att.com
Wed Jun 15 18:33:07 EDT 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Benjamin Pierce wrote:

> I'm actually getting pretty persuaded that just using subversion to
> fork the repository is the best way to proceed.  What did you think of
> my last about this?

Hm, I haven't received that yet, not sure why.  Anyway...

I don't really have a problem with the status quo.
As a developer I'm perfectly happy running my own custom
version :-)

But as I understand it, this proposal does not address
what people are worried about, namely, the need to run
two different versions because they don't control both
ends, but they need some bug fix.  And, the proliferation
of patches.

In particular, under your proposal what happens if
someone desires a bug fix in an old stable version?
It doesn't say anything about this.

As a developer, I liked the old way: once a version
goes out, it never changes.  No patches to manage.
Every so often we declare a stable version.
That version could be identical to the previous
developer version, except for version number.
This seems strictly better than your proposal
(versions don't change underfoot).  Like your
proposal it does not address the different-version
interoperability issue.

-Trevor