[Unison-hackers] [unison-svn] rev 42 - in trunk: . doc src tools

subversion at central.cis.upenn.edu subversion at central.cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:38:27 EDT 2005

Author: bcpierce
Date: 2005-06-27 13:38:25 -0400 (Mon, 27 Jun 2005)

   trunk/src/remote.ml
   trunk/src/strings.ml
   trunk/src/uutil.ml
   trunk/src/uutil.mli
   trunk/tools/afterexportmsg.txt
   trunk/tools/exportmsg.txt
Log:
* New release protocol:

    - To make a new beta release, we copy the trunk into a new branch named
      unison-X.Y (where X.Y is the major version number).  We edit
      mkProjectInfo.ml so that this version becomes X.Y.0.

    - As bugs are found and fixed in the beta release, they are also merged
      (using svn merge) into the trunk.

    - At some point, when the beta release is judged stable, it is
      promoted to stable status and the old stable version is retired.
      This involves just changing a symlink in the web repository.

    - During initial negotiation between client and server, only the
      major version number is checked.  The third component is used to
      identify the "patch level" for debugging purposes: it keeps
      incrementing as commits are made to the trunk unison repository.

    - I'm not quite certain how to handle the change log.  (E.g.,
      should it get updated when bugs are fixed in beta releases?)
      For the moment, I haven't done anything special.

(The export procedure is not fully automated yet -- still working on
branch creation stuff.  This checkin is just a checkpoint.)