[Unison-hackers] Bug report from the field...

Bill.Costa at unh.edu Bill.Costa at unh.edu
Tue Mar 22 07:56:18 EST 2005

Folks,

    I tried posting this message to the unison-users group as
    recommended in the documentation, but it came back 5 days later as
    undeliverable.  Hope you don't mind me posting it here instead.

    Using the text interface, I have run across the following two bugs
    in unison version 2.10.2, running under Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    AS release 3 at one end, and Red Hat 9 at the other (as the
    server).

    * File name with a leading space: When asked for a disposition, I
      entered ignore (I).  The ignore record indeed gets written to
      the

             .unison/default.prf

      file, but then Unison re-prompts for an action on that same file.
      (Repeating the Ignore will write additional identical records to
      the preference file and you will not proceed past that file.)

      Skipping the file and then restarting, the offending file will
      still not be ignored.  I guessing that since the file name is
      not being quoted in the preference file, the leading space is
      getting ignored when doing file name comparisons.  (Having a
      filename that starts with a space is admittedly pathological,
      but...)  BTW, I have not tried replicating such a file nor
      tested this more than one file.

    * If you start a sync with a new target system, the (normal)
      warning message appears:

             ... judged as new and propagated to the other replica.
If the two replicas are identical, then no changes will be reported.
Press return to continue.[<spc>]

      Pressing 'n', 'q', or 'x' to exit will indeed get you out, but
      the cursor is not advanced to a new line and the original
      terminal settings are not restored (i.e. echo remains turned
      off).

    These are really minor bugs, but I thought the folks maintaining
    this wonderful utility would want to know nonetheless.

                                                      ...BC

--
| Bill Costa                                          |
| CIS/TCS -- 1 Leavitt Lane    PHONE: +1-603-862-3056 |   No good deed...
| University of New Hampshire                         |    goes unpunished.
| Durham, NH  03824       USA                         |