[Unison-hackers] star configuration sync and temporary files

HvR hvrietsc at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 17:25:26 EST 2005

About a year ago i tried using unison by syncing in a
star formation (so many "clients" syncing to one
central "host"). The problem i ran into was that each
unison process creates a temp file called
.#filename.v.unison or something like that. This meant
that if two unison processes are trying to replicate
the same file they BOTH create the same .# file and as
such clobber each others work. I reported this problem
and I was pointed to an unstable version that
generated a unique name per process (inserting process
Id into the temp file name). That worked great.

However I just looked at the latest stable version and
this patch never made it: the unison process still
generates a non unique temp filename. Whats up with
that? Do we no longer need this? Am i missing
something?

H.