[Unison-hackers] Re: a common patch set - first attempt

Andrew Schulman andrex at comcast.net
Tue May 31 12:43:00 EDT 2005

> For beta version 2.12.0 you are missing the patch that fixes the order
> of checking for the home directory on Windows.
> I sent it to the list, after Jérôme's comment that your patch was
> correct (for stable version) and it was wrong in 2.12.0.
> Jérôme has committed it to subversion for the main branch the day before
> yesterday I believe (see the comments for the commit).
>
> See the bottom of patch-ubase_util_ml in the OpenBSD CVS repository
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/net/unison/snapshot/patches/
> for the patch and a link to the unison-hackers message.

OK, I've added that patch to the list.

> I probably need to explain why are my patches by file, rather than by
> the patch date.  The reason is the port system on OpenBSD.
> I patch the source file.ml, saving the original file as file.ml.orig.
> Then in the main port directory I just type
>
> 	make update-patches
>
> and all the patches you see in CVS get updated (or created if new) in
> the patches subdirectory of the port.

Very convenient.

> There are obvious advantages to the one patch per file approach for the
> automatic processing.  I like the flexibility of the port system, but
> one consequence is that two patches for the same file are put together,
> or one patch is distributed over several file patches.
> I use comments to indicate the patch sources.
>
> This property of OpenBSD port patches shouldn't be an obstacle I hope.

No, I don't think it is.

I wasn't aware of the OpenBSD patches repository.  Since you're already
maintaining that, it might be easier just to let it be the definitive
patch list.  OTOH, my list also includes patches for previous releases
(2.9.x), which some people are still using.

A.