[Unison-hackers] File copying/moving optimizations

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Wed Nov 2 17:03:16 EST 2005

So I notice that Unison completely re-downloads a file when it is the
result of a copy or a move. Makes sense from a simple implementation
point of view, but I was wondering about an alternative.

When a file is seen as not existing in the replica, it makes sense to me
for the data of the file to be searched for in the replica, and copied
to the new name if found. The original says a file with a certain MD5
sum exists at a new location, the replicate searches for an existing
file with that MD5 sum and copies it.

Seems like this could speed up synchronization in some specific cases by
a good deal. Simply renaming a large top level directory would result in
a new directory being created in the replica and populated from the
previous data. Much faster!

Thoughts?