[Unison-hackers] osxsupport.c

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Sep 20 12:49:22 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 07:11:41AM -0700, Ben Willmore wrote:
> As unison maintainer in Fink (mac os x), I inherited the included
> patch against 2.10.2.  I wrongly assumed it had been incorporated into
> newer versions.
>
> Can anyone comment on the wisdom of including this?

The permissions used to be set before the OS X file attributes.
Thus, the synchronization of a read-only file with some attributes
systematically failed.  Now, the order is reversed and the
synchronization is unlikely to fail (this may happen only if the
attributes of a read-only files are changed but its contents remain
unchanged).  So the patch is not as important as it used to be.

I'm not sure whether this is an argument to drop it (the
synchronization is unlikely to fail) or to apply it (the patch is
unlikely to do any harm)...

-- Jerome