[Unison-hackers] What are the real user cases of using Unison?

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Fri Apr 21 03:26:13 EDT 2006

On 21 avr. 06, at 03:33, Yu-Hui Liu wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> That could be a strange question. ;)
>
> I can understand the features of Unison from reading the User Manual.
> But I still can't imagine who will use it besides a group of people
> who
> are managing a set of documents, to change the docs on individual's
> computer and put them together in a central repository. So still
> want to
> know how widely it is used.

I use it for three main reasons:
- keeping data current: I have three computers; a desktop at work, a
desktop at home, and a laptop. I synchronize my "live" personal data
(the one I'm working on) between the home computer and the laptop,
and the work data between the work computer and the laptop. This way
I don't really care which computer I use and I have some data
redundancy.
- backups: every night, my most crucial data is sent to our server at
work (it's a one way thing, so not really synchronization, but Unison
only propagates the files that have changed).
- web development: all the websites I maintain are done locally
(either using hand coding or Rapid Weaver). I then use Unison to
propagate the changes. As before, only changed files get propagated.

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO