[Unison-hackers] What are the real user cases of using Unison?

Derek Rayside drayside at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 21 14:36:05 EDT 2006

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I use unison because I use
multiple computers (half a dozen or so, various operating systems).  When
I log in, I just update the files on the local machine, work on them, and
then "check them back in".  It's sort of a lightweight CVS.

There was an article on/by Bill Gates in Fortune or BusinessWeek or
something like that recently in which he mentioned that he also
synchronizes his files across multiple machines (although presumably he
does not use unison for this job).

Some people use unison for backup.  Many external hard drives come with
synchronization programs for this purpose (although these programs, in my
experience, are more "user friendly" and have fewer features and
guarantees than unison does).

Some sysadmin's use unison like rsync to maintain mirrors of filesets
between various servers.

Of the eight people in research group I'm in, three of use unison as part
of our regular routine.  That's probably a higher percentage than the
regular population.