[Unison-hackers] Unison OSX

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Apr 22 05:26:01 EDT 2006

> It would be good if the uploaded version was a universal binary.  This
> should be easily achieved by building separately on PPC and Intel and
> pasting the results together with 'lipo'.

I agree this would be nice, but don't think it's critical.  Most of
what Unison does is network-limited, not CPU.

> The Mac GUI in both 2.17.1 and current SVN has a few bugs where Unison
> just dies without any error report when launched from the gui.  I
> think it would be good to get rid of these before uploading a binary,
> as they're disconcerting and result in useless bug reports ("It just
> disappeared").  They're on my to-do list.

Yes.

We should probably take the opportunity to do a release cycle at the
same time -- declare 2.19 to be a new beta-release, planning to
promote it to stable pretty soon.  I'm not sure whether we should
promote 2.17 to stable, though -- it's got some bugs in the backup
stuff that are fixed in the svn version.  (Ideally, they could get
fixed in the 2.17 branch too, which could then get promoted to stable
-- I can see if this is feasible.)

There are a couple more things that need to happen with the backup
stuff before that will be ready for widespread use (in particular on
Windows).

> There's a usenet client for OS X called Unison. This may cause
> conflicts or confusion on the version-tracking sites.

That's annoying, but I guess there's little we can do about it.
Unison can be listed as "Unison File Synchronizer."

      - Benjamin