[Unison-hackers] Unison and extended attributes (xattr) on Tiger?

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Fri Jun 23 12:14:01 EDT 2006

On 23 juin 06, at 15:25, Benjamin Pierce wrote:

> This is something we've dealt with already for some somewhat similar
> cases -- e.g., the TYPE and CREATOR fields on OSX, which I believe
> are handled fairly cleanly, and resource forks, which we didn't
> succeed in handling at especially cleanly (the possible presence of
> resource forks pollutes a lot of code in a lot of modules).  So
> there's a good and a bad precedent.  :-)

Interesting.

> For the UI, I guess the main issue is how big the information is --
> can it just go in the same place as the permission bits, or does it
> need to be summarized in some way?

What if permission bits are changed in one direction, and file
content in the other direction: is this a conflict? How does the UI
may reflect this?

The problem is that different extended attributes may be changed on
both side, and I don't really see how to nicely present this yet.

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO