[Unison-hackers] Upgrade the unison stable version

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 6 08:39:37 EDT 2006

>>> Do you have an idea for a quick fix, for the 2.13.16 version ?
>>
>> Yes: Document the fact that Unison is not safe to use with removable
>> media.
>>

> Well, i could do that, but it is not really fair regarding the bug...

I don't understand why you say that.  Unison is behaving exactly as
it is designed to behave and exactly as its documentation specifies.
The issue here is that, when a piece of removable storage goes
offline, the filesystem will tell Unison that all the files on it are
gone, and Unison will *correctly* (though, I agree, surprisingly)
delete all of them from the other replica.

> If it is a question of time for working on the issue, i think i don't
> made myself clear enough: i am not asking for a new version
> (because you
> told me that it was not possible). I just need some information/
> idea in
> order for me to fix this. If unison just crash when encounting the
> error on Unix/Linux, it will be enough for me...

There was extensive discussion of possible solutions on this list a
few weeks ago.  The final proposed design was to add a preference for
specifying a "mount point" within the replicas (the default would be
just the empty path) that is expected always to exist on both hosts;
before any changes are transferred, this will be checked, and the run
will be aborted if it is missing.  Implementation of this idea should
be pretty easy.

Regards,

    - Benjamin