[Unison-hackers] Speaking of bugs...

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Apr 3 10:01:33 EDT 2007

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 07:44:11PM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> with unison version 2.13.16, I have been trying to sync two folders
> that were copied from the same source, but have never been sync'd
> before.  One of them happens to be on a filesystem that's mounted
> read-only, but that's the only one that's been changed since the copy,
> so presumably that shouldn't make any difference.  Unison dies with an
> uncaught exception.

I suspect the problem is that the folder on the server is very large.
So, after checking for updates, the server tries to send back a lot of
data.  But there is currently a limitation on how much Unison can send
in one go over the wire.  The workaround is to use the "path"
directive to synchronize smaller parts at once.  You only have to do
this for the initial synchronization, as afterwards the server only
sends the differences between the current folder state and its
previous state, which is usually small.

-- Jerome