[Unison-hackers] building the GTK2 UI on Cygwin

Andrew Schulman andrex at alumni.utexas.net
Wed Dec 12 03:47:04 EST 2007

> Building the text version of Unison is pretty straightforward, however I was not
> able to run the GTK2 one. Compiling it works, but the program crashes immediately
> at runtime with the following error : Uncaught exception Gtk.Error("GtkMain.init:
> initialization failed\nml_gtk_init: initialization failed").

Right.  IIRC this error happens in Cygwin with all Unison versions prior to
2.27.something.  However, a little while back I did get around to trying again
with the most recent Unison, and the problem had gone away.

> Is there a structural reason why GTK2/lablgtk2 cannot function together ? I
> noticed the Cygwin distribution ships OCaml and lablgtk2 binaries, but only the
> text version of Unison.

The uncaught exception always prevented me from packaging the GUI version for
Cygwin in the past.  Now that the problem has finally gone away, I haven't
gotten back to packaging it.  Probably next month I'll try again.

I use the text version of Unison myself, so it's not top priority for me to get
the GUI working.  Also, there's some packaging complexity, because of all the
different versions.  But I'll put it back on my to-do list.  Not this month
though.

Andrew.