[Unison-hackers] Logotype design

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Wed Oct 31 04:10:54 EDT 2007

On 15 oct. 07, at 21:41, Benjamin Pierce wrote:

> However, before going too much further with the design, we need to
> make sure we're going to be able to get these whizzy new icons
> integrated into the user interfaces in the Unison sources.  I was not
> responsible for putting in the current icons and I don't know how it
> is done -- anybody willing to help?

I just stumbled on the way to do it reading other things, and it
seems fairly simple.

The icon is stored in the application bundle, under Contents/
Resources/Unison.icns

To create an icon, one can use the developer application Icon
Composer, in /Developer/Applications/Utilities. Under Tiger, it seems
that one need 4 versions of the icon: 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, and
128x128 in RGBA. One also needs the "hit mask" (a 1 bit of mask of
the same size than the icon) but it can be computed from the icon
itself.

I just tried creating an icon and replacing the one from Unison, and
it works (there is some caching involved so it's not visible
immediately though, copying the application made it visible).

Vitezslav, if you have these 4 versions of the icon in RGBA, I could
try incorporating it in the 2.28 current version, just to see how it
looks.

Thanks,

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
.O.
..O
OOO