[Unison-hackers] Toolchain for building on Windows (Karl M?)

Stefan Rank list-ener at strank.info
Fri Apr 11 09:02:22 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

I am trying to build unison, easy on Linux, not so on Windows.
To save me some grief, I would like to ask Karl M (I think he is to one
to thank for the Windows binaries) what versions of the dependencies he
uses for building.
I.e. the versions of MSVC, ocaml, gtk, lablgtk?

cheers,
stefan

PS:

What I am actually trying to find out is how difficult it would be to
add a feature that transparently replaces characters that are illegal on
Windows-filesystems.
Maybe that's doomed from the start, if so, please tell me.

The use case: synchronising maildirs which use : in filenames.

The idea: add a config option::

   charreplace = x-y a-b ... Path Maildir

where x and a are one of [\000-\031\\/<>:\"|] (the regex-chars used in
badWindowsFilenameRx in the unison source) and y and b are arbitrary
(but different) characters.
Then change badWindowsFilenameRx and the commands that touch the
filesystem on windows (that's where I am not sure of the required
effort) to do the character replacement when necessary.