[Unison-hackers] Sneaker Net or Incremental Backup

Duane McKinney duane.mckinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 07:22:07 EST 2008

Or from Version 2.31.4
copyprog xxx
     A string giving the name of an external program that can be used to
copy large files efficiently (plus command-line switches telling it to
copy files in-place). The default setting invokes rsync with appropriate
options—most users should not need to change it.

copyprogrest xxx
     A variant of copyprog that names an external program that should be
used to continue the transfer of a large file that has already been
partially transferred. Typically, copyprogrest will just be copyprog
with one extra option (e.g., –partial, for rsync). The default setting
invokes rsync with appropriate options—most users should not need to
change it.

copythreshold n
     A number indicating above what filesize (in kilobytes) Unison
should use the external copying utility specified by copyprog.
Specifying 0 will cause all copies to use the external program; a
negative number will prevent any files from using it. The default is -1.
See the Making Unison Faster on Large Files section for more information.

I guess I should have checked out the Beta Documentation 1st.  I'll try
messing around with using a shell script as the copyprog.  I would
assume that it would work just fine.  My plan is to write a shell script
which ignores the destination unison tells it, and instead copies it to
a usb drive.

I'll probably report back on this in a week or so.  Currently I am
running 2.27, so I have some compiling and testing to do.