[Unison-hackers] unison and inotify principle

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 3 07:55:43 EDT 2008

Hi Patrice,

This capability is something that I've wanted to add for a long time,
and I agree with the basics of your design.  But the devil is in the
details.  For example, exactly what should be the protocol between
Unison and the external "filesystem watcher" facility?  (I've only
looked at the OSX one in any detail, but it is not completely
straightforward to use; for example, it can occasionally get
overwhelmed and miss updates, and Unison will need to recognize this
case and react appropriately.  Etc.)  How should the user interface
behave?  If Unison becomes a completely "background process," how can
it notify users of conflicts?  And so on.  There are certainly ways
of addressing all these issues, but it adds up to a nontrivial design
exercise.

Best,

    - Benjamin