[Unison-hackers] unison and inotify principle

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain at le-gall.net
Thu Jun 5 09:04:04 EDT 2008

On 05-06-2008, Benjamin Pierce <bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
>> Forget to say: you can use "Unix.select" or similar polling
>> function to
>> check if there are data to be readi/write (not very portable
>> though, but
>> better than nothing).
>>
>> Unix.select will work on Mac and Linux. It will work on Windows with
>> OCaml 3.11
>
> That's useful information and it may make indeed make the Unison side
> easier to implement in terms of pipes.  (Actually, your design and
> mine are not so very far apart, I think -- using files vs. pipes
> [with enough buffering] should amount to much the same thing in the
> end.)

Indeed, i think we could add to the former required command line
option of FOO:
- "-in fl": read dir/file to watch from file fl, if fl = "-", read from
  stdin
- "-out fl": write name of file changed on file fl, if fl = "-", write
  to stdout
+ others options defined in a former post (-enc...)

This way we can have almost both of what you think and what i propose
with a little change...

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall