[Unison-hackers] unison and inotify principle

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain at le-gall.net
Sat Jun 7 17:48:17 EDT 2008

On 07-06-2008, Benjamin Pierce <bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
> No, FSEvents is probably better.  (I think I wrote that description
> of Unison's prototype functionality a while ago, before FSEvents was
> available.)

I did some researche yesterday, about what to use for what platform:
- linux: inotify
  http://svn.metaprl.org/viewvc/mojave/libmojave/cutil/fam_inotify.c?revision=9798&view=markup
- BSD: kqueue
  http://svn.metaprl.org/viewvc/mojave/libmojave/cutil/fam_kqueue.c?revision=10381&view=markup
- Win32: ReadDirectoryChangesW
  http://svn.metaprl.org/viewvc/mojave/libmojave/cutil/fam_win32.c?revision=12714&view=markup
- Mac OS X: FSEvents

For UNIX, you also have gamin and fam.

Link above is extracted from libmojave, which is an OCaml library. I
know that there is also ocaml-inotify.
http://tab.snarc.org/projects/ocaml_inotify/

But of course, this is for writing the notifier program using OCaml ;-)

If the external program work well and is written using OCaml, is there
anyway that the program gets included in unison itself after a certain
amount of time (6 months working without problems)?

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall