[Unison-hackers] Unicode names on Windows

Patrice Espié patrice.espie at art-de-france-export.com
Tue Jun 17 09:19:47 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I would like to tell the way I found to (continue to) use Unison with Linux
and Windows, with "strange" characters in filenames. Not sure this is a good
place to tell about it, but perhaps this solution should be added to the
howtos of Unison.

First of all, Linux handle characters correctly. So lets use Unison on Linux
only ...

To synchronize my Windows shares, I mount them in Linux. Big challenge here,
because the mount process to obtain accents correctly is not easy (at least,
not well documented on the net):

//IP_ADDRESs/WINDOWS_SHARE_NAME    /LOCAL_PATH_TO_MOUNT_TO    cifs
user,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials
0    0

with "/root/.smbcredentials" file contents:

username=WINDOWS_USER_NAME
password=WINDOWS_USER_PASSWORD

Don't forget to add a blank line at the end of this file, it seems to be
important for cifs.

Then, everything is ok for using Unison from Linux. The only bad point is
speed ...

I hope this could help !
Patrice