[Unison-hackers] Call for alpha-testers

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 25 09:47:07 EDT 2008

All,

As you'll have noticed from the commit logs, Alan and I have been
doing quite a bit of hacking the past week, trying to improve
Unison's ability to deal with large files and directories.  This has
required some major internal changes, which will take a little time
to fully stabilize, but we *believe* that we've left all of Unison's
paranoid double-checking mechanisms in place, so the new
functionality should at least be fail-safe.  We'd love to have a few
other people using it at this point, to help us shake out the last
remaining bugs.

We've done two main things:

* Added support for resuming directory transfers if Unison is
interrupted in the middle.  This functionality is always on, now.

* Added support for using an external utility for single-file
transfers.  (Unison's built-in transport mechanism is not very fast
for this case, so an external program like rsync can substantially
improve performance.)  If the external program is able to resume
interrupted transfers, this will make things even faster.

This functionality is enabled by setting the flag "copythreshhold" to
something non-negative.  Setting it to zero will use the external
program for all whole-file transfers (i.e., where the file has been
created on one host).  Setting it to something positive will use the
external program for transferring files larger than this value (in KB).

The external utility is rsync by default.  If you want to use a
different one, set the "copyprog" and "copyprogrest" preferences.
(They are documented in copy.ml.)

Please post a note here with any experiences, positive or negative.
Thanks!

     - Benjamin

P.S.  Since things are changing fast, I have not packaged the new
version as an explicit "release" -- better that alpha-testers just
grab the current svn sources.