[Unison-hackers] XCode expert needed

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Sun Mar 23 02:59:02 EDT 2008

On 23 mars 08, at 04:06, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

> I think the easiest thing to do is make sure you have a copy of
> ocaml installed in /usr/local/lib/ocaml. The GUI shows this
> argument to gcc:
>
>     -I/usr/local/lib/ocaml

Thanks a lot, this worked and I was able to build it.

> If for some reason that's not possible, the next choice would be
> to set an additional Header directory. Using Xcode 3.0:
>
>     Open the project file;
>     Select "uimac" (the top node) in the Groups and Files column;
>     Choose Project->Edit Project Settings (Command-I, build tab);
>     Ensure that All Configurations is chosen from the
> Configuration menu;
>     Double Click Header Search Paths in the Search Paths section;
>     Fill in the path to your includes directory.

I also tried this but it did not work, but it's okay as creating a
symbolic link to the headers did work.

> While looking at the project file, there are a couple
> recommendations I'd like to make:
>
> This project file uses "Current Mac OS" as its target SDK. For
> more predictable build results across multiple machines, I'd
> recommend choosing either the 10.4u SDK or the 10.5 SDK.

OK. If targeting 10.4, would this also run on 10.5?

> Second, if this were my project, I'd change the architecture
> settings to $(NATIVE_ARCH) for development and "i386 ppc" for
> deployment.

OK, the only issue is that the caml code is not compiled universally.
So to build a UB I need to compile it on several machines.

> I'd also rename Deployment to Release, and Development to Debug,
> and delete Default. Those are the new blessed build styles Apple
> uses, and I've always found that moving to newer Xcodes works
> better with the new default names.

Thank you for the suggestions.

>> If you can explain me why positioning this variable result in
>> adding the include path, it would even be better!
>
> I don't understand the question: I think a word got dropped or
> mistyped.

My question was: why does calling xcodebuild with the variable
OCAMLLIBDIR set work? It must be configured somewhere in the project
(to add this variable to the list of header paths) but searching
yielded nothing.

In any way, I'm now able to launch unison from XCode, so I should be
able to debug things better.

Thanks again,

Alan