[Unison-hackers] XCode expert needed

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Mon Mar 24 11:53:39 EDT 2008

On 24 mars 08, at 14:20, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:
>>> OK. If targeting 10.4, would this also run on 10.5?
>
> Yes, the SDK version reflects the available APIs for the build,
> not a minimum system version. You could also target 10.5, and it
> would run on 10.4.
>
> If you look at NSApplication.h, you'll see:
>
> #if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED >= MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_5
>
> It's this macro (and other ones like it) that honor the SDK version.

Thank you, this is clear no.

>>> Second, if this were my project, I'd change the architecture
>>> settings to $(NATIVE_ARCH) for development and "i386 ppc" for
>>> deployment.
>>
>> OK, the only issue is that the caml code is not compiled
>> universally. So to build a UB I need to compile it on several
>> machines.
>
> I would have assumed that the build was universal. There's a technote:
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/opensource/buildingopensourceuniversal.html
> >

> that explains how to make a traditional makefile-type project
> build universally.

Thank you very much for the link, it's very interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to produce ocaml ppc binaries on an
intel machine. (I think there was a post about how to cross-compile
using ocaml, but I'd need to dig it out.)

>> My question was: why does calling xcodebuild with the variable
>> OCAMLLIBDIR set work? It must be configured somewhere in the
>> project (to add this variable to the list of header paths) but
>> searching yielded nothing.
>
> Ah. Because several of the makefiles used that environment
> variable to prefix some paths. For example, the top level
> Makefile, likes 243:244
>
>> tools/%: tools/%.ml
>> ocamlc -o tools/$* -I $(OCAMLLIBDIR)/labltk labltk.cma tools/$*.ml

Ah, I see. What confused me is that the Makefile does not appear in
Xcode, and inspecting the Target does not seem to reveal anything. Do
you have links to the interaction between Xcode and Makefiles?

Thanks again, it was very helpful.

Alan