[Unison-hackers] XCode expert needed

Steve Kalkwarf steve at kalkwarf.com
Mon Mar 24 17:59:38 EDT 2008

>Ah, I see. What confused me is that the Makefile does not
>appear in Xcode, and inspecting the Target does not seem to
>reveal anything. Do you have links to the interaction between
>Xcode and Makefiles?

Well, taking another look at the project, I probably misspoke
about the environment variable and makefiles, and in fact, I'm
not sure how it builds successfully.

If you were to sit at a new machine, set up source, then build,
what would the steps be? I'm guessing there's at least one build
that has to be done before the xcodebuild in the uimacnew folder?

If so, I think what's happening is that depending on how you
perform the build, intermediate objects (*.o files) are being
written to different locations.

Xcode itself has a set of preferences under the Building tab
which dictate where stuff goes. On my machine, Build Products
goes to ~/Projects/build, and Intermediate files go with the
build products.

In addition to this, each project file can override this setting
(in the General tab of the project settings).

If you have phases that are build with make, then those files
are typically intermingled with the source until you run an
install phase.

Is there a list of instructions for building Unison entirely
from scratch? Now you've got my curiosity. :-)

Steve