[Unison-hackers] XCode expert needed

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Mar 25 04:38:43 EDT 2008

On 24 mars 08, at 22:59, Steve Kalkwarf wrote:

> If you were to sit at a new machine, set up source, then build,
> what would the steps be? I'm guessing there's at least one build
> that has to be done before the xcodebuild in the uimacnew folder?

Yes, for at least two reasons:
- the info.plist file is generated from the template file adding the
version number
- linking fails because some file built from the unison source fails

Just for fun, I created the info.plist, and I was able to compile
except from the linking error. So somehow Xcode figures everything
out. (That is, what to link with...)

> If so, I think what's happening is that depending on how you
> perform the build, intermediate objects (*.o files) are being
> written to different locations.
>
> Xcode itself has a set of preferences under the Building tab
> which dictate where stuff goes. On my machine, Build Products
> goes to ~/Projects/build, and Intermediate files go with the
> build products.
>
> In addition to this, each project file can override this setting
> (in the General tab of the project settings).
>
> If you have phases that are build with make, then those files
> are typically intermingled with the source until you run an
> install phase.
>
> Is there a list of instructions for building Unison entirely
> from scratch? Now you've got my curiosity. :-)

If you do a "make", like Benjamin suggested, everything will compile.
The GUI part is compiled calling "xcodebuild" in the "uimacnew"
directory with an argument corresponding to where the caml headers are.

To build from scratch using the GUI, you first need to generate the
Info.plist file:
schmitta at charm src % sed -e's/@@VERSION@@/2.27.57/' uimacnew/
Info.plist.template > uimacnew/Info.plist

Then you need to build the unison object file (from the Caml code)
schmitta at charm src % make unison-blob.o

Finally, just open the project in Xcode and compile the GUI

Alan