[Unison-hackers] State of the OS X version of Unison

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Mon May 19 09:14:26 EDT 2008

Hello,

Thanks to many helpful developers, there has been some progress on the
OS X version of Unison.

I've integrated the patches from Gregory Entin that (among other
things) seem to take care of the dreaded invalid array access crash. I
have not had any report of a crash with the beta version I put online.

Thanks to Steve Kalkwarf, we now have a much cleaner XCode project,
that allow the building directly from XCode. (Thus it also allows
debugging from inside XCode.) Here is the list of changes he submitted
with his new XCode project:

> The project file has a new script build phase which builds unison-
> blob.o
>
> The link rule for unison-blob.o is defined via the GUI
>
> The Info.plist file gets generated as part of the build instead of
> via the sed script (see below)
>
> Targets are built "based on" the ExternalSettings configuration,
> which is provided by the ExternalSettings.xcconfig file. Currently
> build version, and OCAMLLIBDIR are the only things defined there
>
> I removed some redundant frameworks, and all the frameworks are
> located in the "Frameworks" group
>
> I removed a stray Copy Files phase (which Xcode unhelpfully creates
> every time you add a .h file to a project)
>
> The target SDK was set to 10.5 because the ocaml library
> distribution is linked against 10.5, and therefore can't be linked
> against 10.4u
>
> The Extra Header includes is defined via the GUI editor.

I've since extended this by building the ExternalSettings.xconfig file
automatically, using the same logic as in the Makefile to find the
version number and ocaml libraries.

Should I commit these changes? I've been working on the 2.27 branch
(as it's the one I'm trying to stabilize, from a GUI point of view).

Alan