[Unison-hackers] Unison 2.27 for Mac - Broken since 7/17

Mason Kramer mason.kramer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:45:48 EDT 2009

I'm not sure what changed on that fateful day three weeks ago, but
that is the last time Unison reported a successful sync across ssh in
my logs.  I've been using the Mac Ports package, and I fear I may have
upgraded ocaml to 3.11.1_0, which apparently broke Unison.  But since
then I have tried many ways to get Unison working, and nothing has
worked.

The stable and beta binaries available at http://alan.petitepomme.net/unison/index.html
  do not work for me, whether I use the GUI or text mode.  When I use
the Cocoa GUI, I get a Connecting... window indefinitely whenever I
try to sync across ssh.  Syncing local test folders works fine.  Yes,
I made sure to install the CLI on both computers for each version I
tried.

Network traffic analysis indicates than an ssh session to the target
machine is being created when I try to connect.  The correct binary is
available at /usr/bin/local.  This ought to be in the non-login
shell's path, and it definitely was for a long time (since the program
worked).

I have also been unable to build Unison 2.27 from source.  I built
Ocaml 3.10, it built fine, but Unison wouldn't build from the command
line or xcode project.  In the xcode project, I get errors on Growl
headers.  From the command line,

[09:40:32:/Volumes/MacHD (RAID1)/Media/Mason/Downloads/
unison-2.27.157]$ make
ocamlc -o mkProjectInfo mkProjectInfo.ml
./mkProjectInfo > Makefile.ProjectInfo
UISTYLE = macnew
Building for Unix
NATIVE = true
THREADS = true
STATIC = false
OSTYPE =
OSARCH = osx
echo 'let myName = "'unison'";;' > ubase/projectInfo.ml
echo 'let myVersion = "'2.27.157'";;' >> ubase/projectInfo.ml
echo 'let myMajorVersion = "'2.27'";;' >> ubase/projectInfo.ml
ocamlopt: ubase/projectInfo.ml ---> ubase/projectInfo.cmx
ocamlopt -I lwt -I ubase -thread  -c /Volumes/MacHD (RAID1)/Media/
Mason/Downloads/unison-2.27.157/ubase/projectInfo.ml
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: `ocamlopt -I lwt -I ubase -thread  -c /Volumes/
MacHD (RAID1)/Media/Mason/Downloads/unison-2.27.157/ubase/
projectInfo.ml'
make: *** [ubase/projectInfo.cmx] Error 2
------

I really don't have a clue how where to go from here, but I am willing
to try any tests you want to make of me and respond with the results
if it helps you get this fixed.  I am dying for Unison over here ;)