[Unison-hackers] Help building OSX GUI

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Fri Feb 20 02:20:04 EST 2009

On 19 févr. 09, at 23:53, Benjamin Pierce wrote:

> OK, now we're getting somewhere!  I don't know how to find out from
> XCode what SDKs things are being built against, but I did notice
> that /
> Developer/SDKs had both 10.4 and 10.5 versions.  Deleting the 10.4 SDK
> and recompiling ocaml worked fine.  Recompiling Unison failed with
>
> error: There is no SDK with specified name or path '/Developer/SDKs/
> MacOSX10.4u.sdk'
>
> which explains where the problem was!  Moreover, building from within
> XCode after explicitly selecting the 10.5 SDK yields a runnable
> Unison.  :-)
>
> The only question remaining is (a) what should be done to the Unison
> sources to make it possible to build the GUI version with make, and
> (b) should these changes be made permanently?

The project setting should be changed in XCode (right now they say to
build for at least 10.4, and these settings are followed by the
xcodebuild command called from make). Also, the Makefile.OCaml has to
change for the cltool compilation (see around line 158).

Right now, everything is set to compile for both 10.4 and 10.5, but
requires a specially built ocaml (which is simply a line to add in a
configuration file in godi). The reason for this is that I don't have
access to Tiger machines anymore and I want to provide a single binary
for our users.

We could try to do some tweaking to allow different compilation
options, but I would first need to find out how to change the target
SDK from the command line (right now I only know how to do it in XCode).

Alan