[Unison-hackers] Asymmetric DSL and large files

Stefan Goldmann stefan.goldmann at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 10:03:25 EST 2009

Benjamin Pierce wrote:
> It uses the same algorithm as rsync: the receiving machine makes a
> summary of the blocks in the file on its end and gives it to the
> sending maching (this must be what you're seeing, I guess), which then
> sends it the changed blocks.  There's a nice paper by Andrew Tridgell
> if you're interested in details...
>
>       - B
And here the problem is revealed. In my case, this is the bottle neck!

Is there any specific reason why the block summary list has to go from
receiving machine to sending machine? If it would be done vice versa,
the receiving machine would merely have to transmit a rather compact list
of blocks it requests to the sender.

I could imagine, there are quite a couple of ADSL users out there, who might
be happy about an option to change the standard behaviour. ;-)

Cheers, Stefan