[Unison-hackers] Experiences with unicode support synching Mac-Lin

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Jul 15 11:20:39 EDT 2009

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!  I have made some changes accordingly.
Could you test them?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:58:26PM +0200, Stefan Rank wrote:
> - It would be great to automatically convert filenames created on
>    a Mac (NFD) to the NFC normal-form used on Linux (by convention)
>    when this file is first synched (and therefore created by unison
>    on the Linux side).

Unison should now do this.

> With "unicode = true" in the profile, this now preserves all my
> filenames, even those with the crazy characters.

I am wondering whether I should make "unicode = true" the default now.
That should eventually be the case.  Besides, that should not be a
problem when synchronizing with a Mac.  However, when synchronizing
between Windows and Unix, filename are currently ISO-8859-1 encoded on
the Unix side.  So Windows users may have some surprises when
upgrading...

> I still had non-utf8 filenames on Linux (mostly created previously by
> unison).
> unison-text will abort with an error message in this case.
> unison-gui will fail silently. For some cases, it will show empty
> no-synch lines. (Sorry, I don't remember the details now.)

I suspect the issue is that we did not make sure that the strings sent
to the GUI were Unicode encoded.  I have tried to fix that.

Regards,

-- Jerome