[Unison-hackers] Help building OSX GUI

Martin von Gagern Martin.vGagern at gmx.net
Wed May 6 11:48:24 EDT 2009

Alan Schmitt wrote:
> On 5 mai 09, at 15:14, Martin von Gagern wrote:
>> Undefined symbols:
>>  "_chmod$UNIX2003", referenced from:
>>      _setFileInfos in unison-blob.o
>>      _setFileInfos in unison-blob.o
>>
>> You shouldn't have to rebuild ocaml just to get a certain command line
>> argument passed on to the C compiler. The -ccopt flag does that. It
>> might be that code compiled from ocaml source files does introduce
>> additional dependencies if you don't rebuild ocaml, but as this hasn't
>> been a problem for me, I'll not worry about it here.
>
> The problem is the following: to provide a binary that work on both 10.4
> and 10.5, one needs to say so when compiling both unison and ocaml. If
> you use a Leopard-only ocaml when building a Tiger+Leopard Unison, you
> get the above error (because ocaml libraries use Leopard-only symbols).

Above as above, the one I quoted? That shouldn't be the case, because
the above error message was caused by C files, where ocamlopt only
invokes gcc, so what ocaml itself is built against should not matter.

> You were able to build a 10.4 build with a 10.5 ocaml?

Probably not. I were able to get a 10.4 build with the ocaml fink
installed and I didn't want to bother with. Upon closer inspection, it
seems that fink does build this against the 10.4 SDK. At lkeast there is
some mentioning of MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.4 in the build info.

> In any case, the approach is sound
> and I would agree to incorporate the patch, as soon as doing a "make
> MINOSXVERSION=10.4" fails with the undefined symbols above if using a
> 10.5 ocaml.

I don't have a ocaml for 10.5 around. If you do, can you give it a try?

Why make the failure a requirement? If it doesn't fail, that might be
because ocaml, even though it itself was build for 10.5, might decide to
be nice and only use 10.4 symbols in the objects it produces. I don't
see anything wrong with that, even though I believe it's unlikely. In
any case, if that should happen, then a 10.5 ocaml would be able to
build unison binaries ready to run on 10.4, and I'd be happy with that
as well. So I'd say yes, it will probably fail as you outlined, but if
it doesn't, then that's even better.

Thanks fpr the review, greetings,
 Martin