[Unison-hackers] [unison-users] Experimental Unicode support

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed May 6 12:33:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:26:22AM -0400, Benjamin Pierce wrote:
>> I have spent the day adding some basic Unicode support to the
>> developper version of Unison.  This should address most issues with
>> synchronizing between Mac OS X and Linux (but not with Windows).
>>
>> When Unison is in case insensitive mode (this is the default when
>> synchronizing with a Mac machine) and the "unicode" preference is set
>> to true, file names are compared following the HFS+ standard (based on
>> some code I wrote last december).
>
> Wow -- this looks like a great first step.  Thanks, Jerome!
>
>> A lot of issues mentioned by Martin von Gagern are not yet addressed,
>> but that should be a good starting point.
>
> Do you have any advice to offer on a good strategy for the rest?

First, some Mac OS X users should test the code.

Then, we need to sort out what we want to implement next.  This means
in particular clarifying some points in the long text posted by Martin
von Gagern last week, and see what is already implemented and what
remains to be done.

I'll try to make some progress on the Windows side next week.

-- Jerome