[Unison-hackers] How do people feel about DropBox?

Ryan Newton newton at mit.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:32:23 EDT 2009

Yes, I think dropbox's UI methodology -- the green check-box tags on items
that are synced, the renamed files for conflicts -- is very accessible.
 Also running as a daemon is very nice -- allow bandwidth caps like a
bittorrent client, run whenever and don't think about it.
But I don't yet have enough experience to respond to Ben's questions re:
failing safely and cross platform.  I will say that the first time I tried
dropbox (six months ago) when I stress tested the Mac OS client it got
confused and failed to upload files that were present, and then start
indexing a bunch of files which it shouldn't.  Still hasn't managed to
flagrantly delete or corrupt data like so many other synchronization
products.

I won't hold too much of a grudge that the client OS integration was buggy
(presumably they're focused on windows).  And I haven't ran into any
problems yet with the version I downloaded recently (0.6.567).

-Ryan

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:28 AM, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org