[Unison-hackers] Performance of the OSX GUI?

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Jan 11 05:01:43 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 05:21:17PM +0100, Jerome Vouillon wrote:
> A good way to test whether this is an issue or not is by putting a
> directory "foo" with a lot of small files at toplevel on one replica
> and an empty directory of the same name on the other replica (the two
> replicas should be local).  The GUI should not take much longer to
> synchronize this directory than the text UI (accurate start and finish
> time of the synchronization can be found in the unison log).  Can
> someone give it a try?

For instance, one can take the trunk directory of Unison (subversion
directories and object files included).

Synchronizing replicas /tmp/u and /tmp/v, the directories can be
populated as follows:

   cp -a ~/unison-branches/trunk/src /tmp/u && mkdir /tmp/v/src

After synchronization, the directories can be cleaned-up by running
the following command and then performing update detection once:

   rm -rf /tmp/u/src /tmp/v/src

After performing several synchronizations, one can get the starting
and finishing times of the propagation phases by running:

   grep UNISON ~/unison.log

On my machine, the text UI takes 0.45s (best of 4 runs) to propagate
changes.  The 2.32 GTK UI takes 2.6s while the 2.39 GTK UI takes
0.50s (about 5 time faster).

-- Jerome