[Unison-hackers] Does unison collect the memory automatically?

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain at le-gall.net
Wed Jan 27 10:19:28 EST 2010

On 27-01-2010, jiaoyingtian <jiaoyingtian at nrchpc.ac.cn> wrote:
> Hello, there is a problem i have.
> There are two machine in my environment,and they sync the file by unison.
> When the environment run at the beinging time the memory which the unison
> client use is 8m,but after it run two days ,the memory has  been up to  68m.
> So  i want to know whether the unison has the memory collection method? Why
> the memory has increased so much?

Talking about OCaml, the language used in Unison, there is a garbage
collector. So memory should not leak. However, looking at your figures,
you probably encounter a "memory fragmentation" problem. OCaml doesn't
compact the memory very often and the memory usage seems to rise. After
a while, OCaml might trigger a compactation and you memory consumption
will be back to normal.

Other people can answer more precisely on Unison and possible memory
leaks.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall