[Unison-hackers] fsmonitor.py & ignore paths on Linux

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jul 20 04:08:53 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:34:46AM -0400, Benjamin Pierce wrote:
> > - But even worse: unison obeys fsmonitor's instruction and syncs up
> > changed files - even if they were previously ignored.  So, f'rinstance,
> > the server's .unison archive files are getting synced to the client.
>
> That sounds like something isn't working on the unison side -- it's supposed to check for ignored files.

With the directive "ignore = Name .svn", Unison will indeed skip a
directory "a/.svn" and then all files below.  But, if explicitely
given a path "a/.svn/b", it will synchronize this path.  I believe
this is the correct behavior.  As a workaround, one can use a regular
expression to explicitely ignore a directory and all its
subdirectories:
   ignore = Regex .svn(/.*)?

Unison should validate the output of fsmonitor.py using both the list
of synchronized paths and the ignore directives, removing paths that
do not corresponds to a file normally synchronized.

-- Jerome