[Unison-hackers] A new failure mode... :-)

Jerome Vouillon Jerome.Vouillon at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Jun 29 15:56:22 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:19:29PM -0400, Benjamin Pierce wrote:
> Anybody seen this one?
>
> > ETAFailed [Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/Cro-Mag 1.ipa]: Error in digesting subfile:
> > Result too large

This is the following Unix error:

  34 ERANGE Numerical result out of range.  A numerical result of
            the function was too large to fit in the available space
            (perhaps exceeded precision).

Fingerprint.subfile is correctly using LargeFile.seek_in.  It also
performs some reads.  I dont see why this would result in this
error...

The function is called for fingerprinting resource forks in
AppleDouble files.  You can check this by using the "-debug osx"
option.

The only other place it is used is for fingerprinting a file that was
partially copied, to make sure that the prefix was correctly
transferred.

But maybe you should check your filesystem first...

http://www.mail-archive.com/rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org/msg02641.html
| Ok, I have tracked this error into the Mac OS X kernel and it looks like
| the ERANGE / "Result too large" message comes up when your HFS+
| filesystem is corrupted on that file.

-- Jerome