[Unison-hackers] Command line arguments and OS X GUI

Stefan Rank list-ener at strank.info
Fri May 7 08:45:58 EDT 2010

on Friday 2010-05-07 14:00 Alan Schmitt said the following:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Stefan Rank<list-ener at strank.info>  wrote:
<snip>
>> The unison binary that can be installed via the menu option of the
>> macnew GUI (to /usr/bin/unison) calls the internal Unison (capital U)
>> and accepts command-line arguments here.
>
> Yes. And this is where things fail. When I call:
> /usr/bin/unison a.tmp b.tmp
> as specified in the tutorial, I get the profile chooser. (The other
> unison, in my ~/bin directory, is a text only version and works fine.)
>
> Note that this has been reported several times by OS X users: some
> (most?) command line options work, but specifying the roots like above
> does not.

Yes, you're right.
(Sorry for not trying exactly what you suggested right at the beginning...)

I just never realised since I am always using profiles, only changing
options, but not directly specifying roots.

It also accepts the version::

   unison -root a -root b

which has the same problem, but it gives an error if you try::

   unison -root
   /Applications/Unison.app/Contents/MacOS/Unison: option `-root' needs
an argument.

so the option parsing seems to be ok.
I would guess the feature is simply missing from the Mac GUI?

stefan