[Unison-hackers] Unison -repeat over ssh stalls ONLY on mac os -- anyone else seen this?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 16:02:05 EDT 2010

This is a problem I've beet having day in and day out for a while.

I love to use unison to "tether" two code working copies across different
machines when compiling or benchmarking in different places.  Normally I can
set up whole chains -- sometimes involving three unison processes over four
computers (you'd be amazed what proxies and VPN's can make you do).

This is all great, except the endpoint is always my mac laptop.  And my
unison -repeat processes on my mac laptop chug along happily for a while but
eventually get stuck (this never happens on the linux<->linux links).  I've
had to train myself to visit those windows, and type Ctrl-C <up> <enter> to
restart.

I'm running  10.6.4 with its included openssh 5.2p1 install (openssl
0.9.81).  Is this something funky about how apple configures ssh?  I've
never had a problem with my normal ssh terminal sessions... just the
unisons.  I can't imagine that it would be timeout, because unison is
sending packets back and forth every two seconds to verify that nothing has
changed, isn't it?

-Ryan