[Unison-hackers] fsmonitor watching ignored paths?

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Jan 15 19:01:51 EST 2011

> I'm using inotify support for the first time, with unison 2.43 (svn r471) installed on both my Mac and my Ubuntu Lucid server.  When I run "unison -repeat watch" from the Mac, I get errors like
>
> [Pyinotify ERROR] add_watch: cannot watch /home/jalevitt/some/path/to/something/I'm/not/mirroring
>
> /home/jalevitt is one of my two roots, but I'm explicitly specifying a bunch of paths, and ~/some/path/to isn't among them.  I've even tried adding it to the ignore list in default.prf, but fsmonitor.py still tries to add a watch, and it eventually fails since it's a deep directory tree and there are too many files to watch.
>
> Is there a workaround?

Not that I see, I'm afraid.  The first version of fsmonitor.py tried to deal with ignored files, but accurately duplicating Unison's (rather peculiar) semantics of ignore and ignorenot seemed error-prone so we ripped that out; now Unison just checks whether the paths its getting back are ignored before trying to sync them.

What is it that fails here?  inotify itself?  Or fswatcher?

    - Benjamin