[Unison-hackers] Move Unison to Git

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Wed May 4 17:04:29 EDT 2011

> Also, I want to say - with respect - that I find it's a rather bad
> idea to tie version numbers to SVN revision numbers.
> Most of the project I worked on so far switch from SVN or Mercurial to
> Git at some point, which made referring to SVN revision numbers in
> Trac issues obsolete.

In practice, we don't actually refer to SVN revisions when discussing Unison issues.  The SVN revision is really only used to automatically make sure that the minor version number (the X in 2.40.X) changes every time there's a checkin.  The major version numbers are managed by hand: the first component is a constant in practice, while the middle component changes every time there is a wire protocol or archive format change.

Moving away from this system would not actually change very much.  If it would simplify life for people that want to get Unison sources via Git (or whatever), we could just make all changes (even in the minor component) by hand.  This would mean (a) it would take a tiny bit more work to release an update to a beta- or stable version [but this is not a big deal], and (b) the trunk version would always have minor version number 0 because we would not bother to update it on every checkin [but this is fine: it's very rare to need to talk about a trunk version that is not the very most current one].

    - Benjamin