[Unison-hackers] Unison on El Capitan

David E. Filip dfilip at colornet.com
Mon Dec 14 18:18:23 EST 2015

Dear Unison Hackers,

Can someone please advise how to install Unison command line on OS X 10.11 / El Capitan?

I have tried installing Unison 2.40.69 (binary).  Everything works fine and as expected on several OS X 10.9 / Mavericks systems.  However, on 10.11 / El Capitan the command line version cannot be installed in /usr/bin because of System Integrity Protection (SIP).  However, although I cannot write files to /usr/bin with SIP, I can write files to /usr/local/bin.

So the question is which file?  Copying Unison.app/Contents/MacOS/Unison to /usr/local/bin/unison does not work (I get an error trying to execute it).  And it looks like cltool is too small and the wrong file.  And neither one match the size of /usr/bin/unison installed on Mavericks.

So I tried copying the binary (/usr/bin/unison) from a Mavericks system to my El Capitan system as /usr/local/bin/unison.  However, when I try to sync from a remote system, I get an immediate ‘Lost connection with server’ pop-up.  And if I run unison from the command like I see the error ‘bash: unison: command not found’.  However, if I login to the El Capitan system and type ‘which unison’ it finds it in /usr/local/bin.  And if I open terminal on the El Capitan system and type ‘unison’ it launches the Unison GUI.  So why doesn’t it find it when sync’ing from a remote system (Mac OS 10.9 / Mavericks, also Unison 2.40.69)?

So in addition to the annoying question about “Do you want to install the command line?” every time I start Unison on El Capitan, I need to be able to sync from a remote system (actually several, all currently on 10/9 / Mavericks).

Thanks,

Dave Filip