[Unison-hackers] Discrepancy in fswatch.ml and fsmonitor.py

Chris Stankevitz chris at stankevitz.com
Thu Dec 31 02:01:31 EST 2015

Can someone explain this discrepancy in the 2.48.3 source distribution:

1. fswatch.ml describes (and implements) a notification protocol in
which stdin/stdout is used to communicate messages such as VERSION, OK,
DIR, LINK, CHANGE, etc

2. fsmonitor.py implements a notification protocol but it does not send
or receive any of the commands in (1).  Furthermore it does not send
commands to stdout, rather it writes them to a file called "changes" in
a way that does not agree with (1).

What I was expecting to see:

3. fswatch.ml describe a protocol

4. fsmonitor.py implements the protocol in (3)

The reason I am asking: I would like to add freebsd support to the
fsmonitor process.... but I am not confident that fsmonitor.py is the
correct starting place.

Thank you,

Chris