[Unison-hackers] treating some directories atomically, and ignoring socket files

Chris Prince chris.prince at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 14:10:51 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 7:57 AM, Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> wrote:

> I would like to see a feature like this as well.  On Mac, we have packages
> which are directories that are treated as a single unit. There are many
> programs which use packages as a document format, and there are the
> same concerns as VC directories.

I have also wanted a similar feature, for synchronizing directories with
many changes.

But to keep the feature general-purpose, I imagined the following: the text
UI would let you move "up" in the directory hierarchy (even multiple
levels) and apply an action to all changes below the higher directory.

For example, if you had the following differences in today's UI:

changed  ---->            Work/.git/index  [f]
new file ---->            Work/.git/objects/01/488ce102abf6  [f]
new file ---->            Work/.git/objects/01/a5023bc92349  [f]
  [snip tens or hundreds of similar lines]
new file ---->            Work/.git/objects/ff/eaa8085e4b3d  [f]
deleted  ---->            Work/temp.txt  [f]

The new UI would let you do the following instead. (Notice the 'up' action
taken on the first line, and the 'various' status on the second line.)

changed  ---->            Work/.git/index  [f] u
various  ---->            Work/.git  [f]
deleted  ---->            Work/temp.txt  [f]

---Chris